2010. február 20., szombat

Press on: Namibia

Maun, bus station (me, Matt and Enrique)

After a pretty long ride and two buses I arrived to the Namibian border (Maun to Ghanzi and from there to Buitepos). Just to find out two things:
Ghanzi, Botswana, bus station

1) I should have applied for a visa while in Hungary;
2) there is no transportation from the border to the first city, Gobabis, that's around 80 km.

The first problem was solved pretty quickly by the lady at the customs. She told me Hungary is not on the list and I should go to Gaborone for a visa. It was already 1700 hours on Saturday and there was no way I could get to Gabs. She was nice enough to stamp my passport with a temporary visa for 5 days. Told me that in Windhoek I should go to the Ministry of home Affairs and ask for a tourist visa. What a relief...
Our transport from Buitepos to Windhoek

The second problem was solved by a South African guy transporting a huge (I really mean huge, about 1 ton) gearbox for some industrial machine. I was standing at the border with my packs thinking of what now. This truck stops and asks where am I going. Told him Windhoek. He said if I don't mind traveling on the plateau he'll take me all the way. It was a pretty long trip through the Kalahari, with some rain, pretty cold and lots of dust&dirt. But finally I arrived to Windhoek.
Farewell Botswana, on the road through the Kalahari desert

The Cardboard Box is a nice backpackers place. Not far from downtown Windhoek.

Monday my first thing was to go and apply for the visa. Which I got in my passport the next morning.
Also, as in Maun, it is important to get yourself a Namibian SIM card..

On Tuesday did the rounds at the companies based at Eros airport. With not too many promises. The only company that does not have their offices at the airport is Sefofane Namibia. I'll probably make them a visit later.
At Westair I've found noone in charge. Left the CV at the reception. Will probably call the lady in charge sometime next week.
Wings Over Africa only took my CV after I told the lady that I speak German.
The accredited chief pilot of Scenic was the nicest, at least he read my CV, we talked for a few minutes.
Independence Avenue, Windhoek

With all this done I went to the train station in Windhoek to find out if there is any train to Swakopmund. Well there is. One departing at 1955 every day and reaching Swakop by 0500 next morning. Been there, done that. And am here in Swakopmund. Presently without any reassurings. But Swakopmund is a little gem. And for the moment I'm enjoying it very much. Only missing my babes.

More pictures in the previous post.

Nincsenek megjegyzések: